Jesus Christ - Pen/Pencil/Digital drawings

STRICT ROMAN CATHOLIC UPBRINGING

I was brought up strictly Roman Catholic...having been baptized as a baby; and, also, confirmed in my youth. 

Way back in those days I was, quite literally, forced to go to church every single Sunday(my mum was Roman Catholic; and, I am an only child coming from a single parent family).

-----

YOUTH/ADULTHOOD, REBELLION

As an adult, however, I pretty much rebelled; and, decided to go entirely my 'own' way, instead.

1> I didn't feel it was necessary to go to church every single Sunday to pray; as you could pray absolutely anywhere you are...by, simply, staying in at home/or, indeed, anywhere on the streets.

2> I didn't necessarily tend to believe in the Roman Catholic way of thinking, anymore; that there is only 'one' religion/and, therefore, 'one' way of thinking about and doing things. In other words, I felt it was perfectly ok to go and visit 'any' church to go and pray; including, Church of England/Protestant/Jehoviah Witness/Hari Krishna/Buddhist/Hindu/-etc.

-----

MAKING JC THEME MY OWN

Nevertheless, a lot of Roman Catholic Christian iconography tended to stay with me...after looking at it for most of my life; especially, I could never forget the theme of 'Christ on the Cross'; I noted, too, that many great artists whose works I both very deeply respected and admired had also drawn/painted this same theme, such as: Michelangelo/Da Vinci/Picasso/Dali/Redon/-etc.; believe me, this list really could go, endlessly, on and on and on: Titian/El Greco/Van Gogh/Gauguin/Matisse/-etc. So, I too could never quite resist the thought of making this same theme mine.

Over the years, I really don't know how many times I must have tried drawing 'Christ head/hands/feet/Christ on the Cross'; but, it must have been over 100+; each time, I'm trying to 'refine' it down in order to get 'one' to work out just right.

-----

WHAT DOES CHRIST ACTUALLY LOOK LIKE...?

My own personal feeling is...that nobody truly knows what Christ looks like; but, we have handed down to us a kind of 'conventional' look...that nearly everyone else tends to, rather slavishly, copy/imitate.

As far as I'm concerned...Christ on the Cross could be drawn as being either yourself.../or, a woman/or, semi-abstract/pure abstract/-etc.; so, in essence, it's up to the artist themselves exactly how they choose to depict Christ.

All of that said and done; for the most part, I tended to go along with the conventional look...mainly because I wanted people to 'buy' my art...as opposed to totally ignore it; but, I certainly wasn't afraid to to draw Christ any way I damn well pleased.


Imaginary drawings...


















    






Copying from reality...




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hand Studies (A work in progress...)

Time is 'limited'...why it's important to keep on drawing every single day...